Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge has been awarded the highest level of Platinum in the TripAdvisor GreenLeaders program for being eco-friendly. The GreenLeaders Program honors eco-friendly lodging for environmental practices like recycling, serving local and organic food, water and electricity conservation.
They have received the important Ecological Blue Flag Award seven years in a row for having one of Costa Rica's cleanest beaches. The gulf of Golfo Dulce is a rare tropical fjord, one of only four in the world, and a vital habitat for marine life such as endangered humpback whales, sea turtles, and several kinds of dolphins. Now is the time to see Humpback Whales at Nicuesa Lodge in Costa Rica.
Nicuesa Lodge is dedicated to conservation and protecting wildlife. This region of southern Costa Rica is home to the world-famous Corcovado National Park and the Piedras Blancas National Park, in addition to three other private reserves surrounding the gulf.
The unique Costa Rica rainforest lodge is designed using environmentally-friendly principles. All buildings are constructed from naturally fallen or farmed trees and recycled materials using local labor. Construction stands on less than 2% of the property - the remaining 98% is a private rainforest reserve. Roof tiles on the main lodge and cabins are made of recycled plastics, including banana bags. Natural air ventilation from the mountains and the sea is used throughout all structures. The spectacular two-story main lodge building at Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge is built sustainably.
Daily operations of the lodge are as eco-friendly as possible:
All electricity is provided by solar energy, and a back-up generator runs on recycled vegetable oil.
Gray water and black water are separated and they use organic micro-organisms to clean the septic system.
The lodge recycles all glass, plastics, paper, aluminum, and Tetrapak containers, and composts all organics to fertilize the gardens. No artificial fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides are used on the property.
Energy-efficient light bulbs and appliances are used and solar lanterns light pathways at night.
Meals served at the lodge focus on national and regional cuisine using produce grown on the property or grown as locally as possible.
Nicuesa Lodge supports its local communities in many different ways. And a Sustainability Coordinator ensures that they honor the environment while staying dedicated to guests comforts.
Luxury and comfort combine with sustainable tourism at Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge in Costa Rica. Your travel choices make a difference. And you don't have to trade comfort to be environmentally conscious choosing to stay at an ecolodge on vacation. Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge offers luxury service in an authentic, sustainable and pristine location. Don't miss Nicuesa Lodge's whale watching tours to see migrating humpback whales through the end of September. Article by Shannon Farley